Re: [Yaffs] Modifications to GC

Author: Charles Manning
To: Hugo Etchegoyen
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Modifications to GC
On Thursday 04 March 2010 04:17:53 Hugo Etchegoyen wrote:
> Charles,
>
> Thank you very much for answering. In the meantime I discovered there is
> a yaffs list and I've subscribed to it, so if you prefer to continue
> this thread in the list just advise.
>
> It looks that you are already addressing my issues, so you can count me
> as a guinea-pig. My timescale for this project is 2-3 months.
>
> To be a little bit more precise about my application, I will try to give
> you some timing figures. They are not very precise because my test board
> is not working right know so I have to count on my memory, but I think
> you'll get the idea.
>
> I have some 200 millisecs available for shutdown. I can save state and
> sync yaffs in less than 100 millisecs if GC doesn't interfere, but when
> it does I can easily run out of time. I did some profiling and realised
> that the execution time of yaffs_GarbageCollectBlock() could climb to
> some 300 millisecs, depending on how many chunks were copied at a time,
> so I came up with the idea of a smaller value for maxCopies. I guess
> your proposed code is safer than just setting maxCopies to 3.

300ms is excessive for gc. I will have a look to see if there is something
interfering.

> Background GC would be great since it would improve the average writing
> speed, as most writes would not involve in-line GC. However, since the
> probability of entering GC at power fail would be much smaller, but not
> zero, I think it would still be necessary to decrease maxCopies in order
> to cover the worst case.

Yes indeed, background gc would not block for long.

> Your idea of updating directory times in
> background is also very nice. My application doesn't care about file or
> directory times, so I will mount yaffs with "noatime" and "nodiratime"
> in order to increase performance and flash endurance.

yaffs does not support atimes because it is expensive to do a header write for
eacyaffs is already noatime and nodiratime whether you want it or not :-).

The directory times I'm talking about are the directory mtime and ctime that
get changed every time the directory is changed so that client apps can know
to refresh their view etc. Every time a file is created, renamed or unlinked
we write a directory entry reflect the change. This doubles the number of
writes assocaited with creating or deleting empty files.

The new approach will put the "dirty" directories into a dirty directory list
and use the background thread to periodically (every second or so) update the
directory times. That should reduce the number of directory update writes
significantly.

This is particularly bad when running test code which, say, creates 1000 files
in a directory then deletes them resulting in 2000 directory update writes
(ie. 4000 writes in total), half of which only last for a very brief time.
With the new code there would only be a handful of directory update writes.

> I agree that refreshing old data looks much better than refreshing
> random blocks and at the same time does static wear leveling, so as soon
> as you have code for this (or any hints) I will gladly try it.

It is in cvs. Give it a go.