Re: [Yaffs] Periodic Checkpointing

Author: James Kehl
To: Charles Manning, yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Periodic Checkpointing

chunk in
> each block to hold all the tags for chunks in the block. That makes
> scanning
> way, way, faster meaning that the fallback for handling the case when
> there
> is no current checkpoint is still approaches checkpoint speed.

Wouldn't this only be a gain for the inband-tags case, or when the MTD
driver can't read out a page's tags without reading out the entire page
as well (as some hardware ECC forces you to do)?

It would be interesting if this also let you save chunk
deletion/obsoletion flags - I heard someone pondering an
"incremental/background mount" idea once, where more files would become
available as the scan progressed. (Of course, any readdir() or access to
a non-existent file would have to block until the scan finished... but
with a usual layout, it might get init started a couple of seconds
earlier.) The biggest catch would be making sure old data (old
filenames, deleted files, old contents) weren't temporarily resurrected.