Re: [Yaffs] yaffs2 on 2.4 vs yaffs2 on 2.6

Author: yaffs@piments.com
To: YAFFS ML
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] yaffs2 on 2.4 vs yaffs2 on 2.6
Re:

Date: 2010-04-05 21:41 +200
To: YAFFS ML
Subject: [Yaffs] yaffs2 on 2.4 vs yaffs2 on 2.6
Hi,

I am in the porcess of updating an older yaffs2 partition on a 2.4
kernel to a recent 2.6 kernel build with the following yaffs code.

# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00020000 00020000 "TS-BOOTROM"
mtd1: 07d00000 00020000 "Linux"
mtd2: 002e0000 00020000 "RedBoot"
# cat /proc/yaffs
YAFFS built:Aug 16 2009 21:32:17
$Id: yaffs_fs.c,v 1.79 2009/03/17 01:12:00 wookey Exp $
$Id: yaffs_guts.c,v 1.82 2009/03/09 04:24:17 charles Exp $

If I mount /dev/mtdblock1 under a nfs boot of the 2.6 kernel and fsystem
I get rubbish. Some files seem to be interpreted as directories and the
result is chaos.

Fortunately it did not hose the fs.

I was able to make a tarball of the fs by nfs boot to 2.4 and an fs
image close to that in flash. Here mount /dev/mtdblock/1 is OK.

The earlier version is signed:

$ cat /proc/yaffs
YAFFS built:Jun 6 2006 14:14:22
$Id: yaffs_fs.c,v 1.2 2006/02/14 18:20:41 michael Exp $
$Id: yaffs_guts.c,v 1.1 2006/02/09 21:08:29 michael Exp $

$ cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00020000 00020000 "TS-BOOTROM"
mtd1: 07d00000 00020000 "Linux"
mtd2: 002e0000 00020000 "RedBoot"

$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

31 0 128 mtdblocka
31 1 128000 mtdblockb
31 2 2944 mtdblockc

It seems the two versions have different nomenclatures for the block
devices.

Should it be possible to mount this partition with the 2.6 yaffs2 code?

What version of flash_erase should I use to clear the partition prior to
installing the new fs image?

TIA,

Hi

Any comment on this issue please . I need to install the new fs image
but do not want to run this risk of bricking the device with
incompatible tools screwing up the flash structure.

If hose the reboot partition through something going wrong I'll have a
bill of $200 for a new board or an RMA and postage nearly as dear.

Is there a known incompatibility between these two vintages of yaffs2
code ? Is the name change a problem?

What tools should I use to clear the old partition? Before installing
the new fs?

Thanks for some clear advice of documentation on how to deal with any
changes.

best regards.