Re: [Yaffs] used chunk scanning

+ (text/html)
Author: James Kehl
To: Marco Cesarano, yaffs@lists.aleph1.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] used chunk scanning
----- Original message -----
> Hello yaffers,
>
> a simple question: starting from the objects that I have on yaffs
> filesystem (directories, files, symlinks, and so on) how can I identify
> all the chunks that are used by them?

Hi Marco,

Believe it or not, that's not a simple question - or at least it's not a simple question if you're actually wanting to use that data in something!

A simpler question (and I may be wrong, but I think it might be the question you really want answered) is "how do I get a list of all the pages in use by a particular file for my bootloader?"

Answer? You don't... Garbage collection and (maybe) wear levelling will move those pages around over time.

The canonical method for bootloaders to find the pages they need is for them to actually read the filesystem. (Also true for most filesystems these days. Even desktop Linux bootloaders do this now.)

If you're doing something more short-term with the chunk data - partition resizing? - I apologize for answering the wrong question :)