Re: [Balloon] USB Networking

Author: Chris Jones
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] USB Networking
On 09/03/2011 17:41, Neil Williams wrote:
>> Has anything changed in the USB networking/g_ether/CDC world recently?
>> I've just put a bleeding-edge kernel (2.6.38rc6) on a Balloon 3 and
>> can't get it to talk to a PC over USB.
>
> I've installed 2.6.38rc6 on 3 SPECS units without problems with the USB networking, however, the behaviour has reverted to how SL40 used usb0:
>
> 1. Cold-plugging the USB networking cable does not work.
> 2. Hot-plugging generates output on the serial console but the interface needs to be taken down and then put back up.
> 3. It needs various changes on the PC but those haven't changed since SL40 (tcl-usbnet package).
>
>> I've tried two different
>> machines, both of which used to work, and neither of them do now. Trying
>> to bring up usb0 on the PC gives me a string of 'No such device'
>> messages and fails. usb0 will come up on the Balloon but never gets a
>> DHCP reply.

After some discussion with Nick B, we've got to the bottom of this.
There's an issue with the Ethernet gadget driver connecting to
older(ish) kernels. There is a pre-existing hack to address this issue
which I've just tried out and it works. It had been removed for
compatibility with Windows machines, but unfortunately breaks
compatibility with some Linux kernels. So that the knowledge doesn't go
missing, I've put it on the Wiki at

http://balloonboard.org/balloonwiki/BalloonUSBDebugging

Chris
--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd c/o Element Energy Ltd