Re: [Yaffs] Using YAFFS to store data right before powercut

Author: James Kehl
To: Helmut Raiger, yaffs@lists.aleph1.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Using YAFFS to store data right before powercut
Suggestions:
1. Dedicate a partition to your power-off storage. This avoids the "file system might be full" issue, and you can guarantee an upper bound on the garbage collection time. Doesn't need to be a big partition - for 8k data, 32k should be enough (most recent copy, backup copy, file headers, checksum block).

2. Do online garbage collection, instead of leaving it until write time.

3. Do periodic backups regularly, *without* waiting shutdown. It's better to lose e.g. 5-10 seconds of data than weeks, months or years. Of course, your Flash wear rate goes up, and you have to worry about wear levelling (and that probably rules out the small partition), but your worst-case "can't shutdown" situation (e.g. running out of shutdown time, but also hardware resets or software crashes) can be tuned to avoid upsetting your customers too much.

In my product, I actually flush all my data to Yaffs every second (with a bit of delta compression and transaction logging, to keep the write rate <1 page/sec). Not having to worry about clean shutdowns at all is quite nice!