Re: [Yaffs] Bad Block definition

+ (text/html)
Author: Charles Manning
To: Qi Wang 王起 (qiwang)
CC: yaffs@lists.aleph1.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Bad Block definition
On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Qi Wang 王起 (qiwang) <>wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Yes, I totally agree with you. But one question is how to distinguish REFRESH_NEEDED
> and FIXED_BUT_SUSPECT.
>

> I think a good method is to distinguish by bit flip level. For example,
> define the max_ecc_cap is max ecc capability for one NAND flash, if one
> block bit flip exceed one third of max_ecc_cap, just consider this block as
> REFRESH_NEEDED, and refresh it. But if one block bit flip exceed
> two-third of max_ecc_cap, consider this block as FIXED_BUT_SUSPECT.
> Because normally, bit flip number increase by one or a few bit every time,
> when bit flip reach one third of max_ecc_cap, it will be refreshed, and
> never can be to two third of max_ecc_cap. If a block reach two-third of
> max_ecc_cap, we can consider it as suspect.
>
> But now, MTD layer read function only return –EUCLEAN to YAFFS2, YAFFS2
> cannot get how many bit flip occur.
>
> So can you share what’s you opinion for how to distinguish REFRESH_NEEDED
> and FIXED_BUT_SUSPECT?

It will be up to the driver/integrator to determine this. There is no way
Yaffs can figure out the policy because the right thing to do will depend
on the flash and what information is exposed.

Some flash parts (& controllers) provide a lot of information (eg. number
of flipped bits). In that case you can make some determination in software
(eg. 0 or 1 = OK, 2 or 3 = REFRESH NEEDED, 4 or more = FIXED BUT SUSPECT).

On other flash types there is no such info (or there are not enough bits to
do anything useful). In that case the driver writer can choose.

The best way to do this might require nformation that is not available via
standard mtd drivers.