Re: [Yaffs] Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing?

Author: Shivdas Gujare
To: Sven Van Asbroeck
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing?
Hi Sven,

Thanks for your help.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Sven Van Asbroeck <> wrote:
> Hello Shivdas,
>
> Yaffs does not directly concern itself with bad blocks - these are the responsibility of the MTD layer. In short:
> 1. During startup, the MTD layer finds bad blocks (usually by scanning or a bad block table on the flash) and stores them in RAM.
> 2. During file system mount, yaffs uses the MTD API's to determine whether a block is bad.
> 3. If a block becomes bad during file system usage, yaffs will again use the MTD APIs to mark the block as bad.
>
> Saving a check point does not avoid bad block scanning. Scanning will happen when the MTD driver starts, which is well before yaffs comes into play.

So, what does actually "check pointing" saves while unmount? and Is it
safe to use check-pointing always in final product?
Does yaffs have any counter which decides "how many time yaffs was
mounted/unmounted before I forcefully decides not to use checkpointing
so I will have normal mount" and then again use "checkpointing" till
that counter reaches its limit. (similar to like how "fsck" works for
ext2/3 filesystems)

> Hope this is useful !
> Sven
>
> PS What's the weather been like in San Diego? I had a wonderful holiday there last September when it was 90 degrees...

Its cloudy and rains sometime in a week, It seems it's raining more
this year than previously(This is my first year :) )

Thanks and Regards,
Shivdas Gujare