Re: [Yaffs] Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing?

Author: Sven Van Asbroeck
To: Shivdas Gujare
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing?
Hello Shivdas,

> So, what does actually "check pointing" saves while
> unmount?

It's my understanding that the check point consists of the RAM data structure which is assembled when a yaffs partition is scanned. It consists of meta-information associated with each chunk and block. If you'd like to know more, I recommend reading the 'How Yaffs works' document, which is available in CVS.

> and Is it
> safe to use check-pointing always in final product?

According to Charles, checkpointing is designed to be used in the way you describe. To my knowledge, no open checkpointing issues exist, but you should search the archives. If you are concerned about the checkpoint diverging from the meta-information on flash, you could a) disable checkpointing altogether, or b) submit a patch implementing a checkpoint counter ;-)