Re: [Yaffs] Quota support in YAFFS

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
CC: Wookey
New-Topics: Re: [Yaffs] Quota support in YAFFS
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Quota support in YAFFS
On Wednesday 03 March 2010 07:39:53 Wookey wrote:
> So far as I can tell YAFFS doesn't support unix user quotas.

Correct, there is no quota support.

> Would it be hard to add? We'd like to be able to allocate users a
> limited size of flash they can use for user docs and I think quotas
> would allow this, but YAFFS doesn't have any so that's not going to
> work as-is.
>
> Can anyone confirm that my understanding of qhat quotas actually do is
> correct, and any idea how much work it is to add, or if there are
> reasons why it isn't going to fly?

Well, like any software, it's just ones and zeros so it **could** fly with
sufficient will. How much effort is required I don't know as this would need
some reading up on how quotas work.

There are two ways to manage quotas: per user and per group. Full user/group
support needs knowledge of how much space is used by each user/group. That
info is available once file details have been loaded, but not directly at
mount. After a lazy-loaded mount we know what file sizes are, but don't know
their group/user.

If your intentions are to just reserve some space for root then there might be
some much easier ways to do things.

--Charles