[Balloon] Fw: Balloon Build System

Author: Wookey
To: Balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Fw: Balloon Build System
CJ started this conversation on the list - lets keep it there.

----- Forwarded message from David Bisset <> -----

From: David Bisset <>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 10:56:57 +0100
To: 'Hector Oron' <>,
    'Neil Williams' <>,
    'Nick Bane' <>
Cc: 'Toby Churchill' <>,
    'Chris Jones' <>,
    'Wookey' <>
Subject: Balloon Build System
    autolearn=no version=3.2.5

It is ironic that Toby and I had a on Thursday chat about how the Balloon build
system was now looking much more usable than it had been for years.

I am guessing that CJ had problems because he checked out Head and not the
stable tag?

(I am hoping that a stable tag exists and that this was simply a communication
problem…)

Therefore Hector’s latest mods caught him out.

It’s very important that when we make changes like this there is:

a)      Consultation prior to major change. (Message on Balloon list)

b)      Indication of what will cause problems to others as a result of the
change.

c)       Testing of any build system changes on a blank checkout prior to Head
check-in. (Note it must build a bare metal install by default and this must be
tested on a wiped board, and must work).

d)      Clear notification to the balloon list of the check-in to Head of the
working system. (All dev work must be done in a branch until complete and
releasable, Head should never be unusable. There is a difference between
unstable and unusable).

e)      Quick response to bug notifications (it needs to be clear what tags are
needed against bugs when logged in TRAC).

f)       It is very important that board developers (i.e. people who use the
build system as a part of their development process rather than those working
on the development system itself) can choose not to use the latest fixes kernel
versions etc. and that once they find a check-out that works they can stick to
it. (Exactly why I still refuse to move from menuconfig to menuconfig2) Build
system changes will have an impact on project time scales, developer time, and
people’s stress levels and build system developers need to understand this.

Let me put an example to you the other way round.

How frustrated would you be if I change the pinout of a connector on Balloon or
decide that the console is now on COM2 or change the audio codec without
telling you? That’s how we feel when a trusted development environment fails to
build one day without us having changed anything.

Please lets get this right it...

Regards,

David

database 5989 (20110327) __________

http://www.eset.com

    RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW,SPF_PASS autolearn=ham version=3.2.5

Hi,

2011/3/27 David Bisset <>:

> I am guessing that CJ had problems because he checked out Head and not the
> stable tag?

He is checking out development branch ('menuconfig2').

The stable tag is:
<http://balloonboard.org/trac/browser/balloon/tags/1.0-stable>

> (I am hoping that a stable tag exists and that this was simply a
> communication problem…)
>
> Therefore Hector’s latest mods caught him out.

The main issues is that CJ cannot use 1.0-stable tag as it is too old
for what he needs to do, so I am trying to get a 2.0-stable tag code
named barmy (based on Nick's menuconfig2), but I have not had the time
yet to fix all the buggy stuff. When I got it ready, I was planning to
mail to mailing list and make it current trunk/

> It’s very important that when we make changes like this there is:

Sure, but I guess that needs to be done on the stable tag and not on
the current development branch. If people wants to play with current
development it is fine, but please help us fixing it with patches and
useful comments (system is still in development) and even we asked in
the mailing lists for several times, nobody care enough (did not reply
to any of the requests) to make a stable, usable menuconfig2 system.
In anycase, it is in the way, should not take long to get it there.

> Please lets get this right it...

We are in the way, please be patient... :-)

Cheers,
--
 Héctor Orón

-- Day DVB-T stop working nicely
Video flare: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100510.html

----- End forwarded message -----
Wookey
--
Principal hats: Linaro, Emdebian, Wookware, Balloonboard, ARM
http://wookware.org/