Re: [Balloon] Kernel hacking workflow

Author: Chris Jones
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Kernel hacking workflow
On 01/04/2011 12:08, Nick Bane wrote:
>> What's the *right* way to do this? Tell me, and I'll write it down
>> somewhere that everyone can see.
>>
>> This sort of documentation is essential. We have a complex build
>> system and
>> no documentation on how it works, so anything other than a
>> straightforward
>> distro build feels dangerous. I want to help change that.
>>
> Good plan. I understand how I do it so maybe documenting that is a start.
> Part of this is documenting how to avoid quilt pitfalls.

After much useful discussion with Nick, I've just written the following
page:
http://www.balloonboard.org/balloonwiki/SoftwareBuilding/Menuconfig2KernelDevelopment

which explains the Jones-eye view of how to do kernel hacking. It works
for me, but all contributions are welcome.

Chris

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd c/o Element Energy Ltd