Re: [Balloon] Next balloon board release plans

Author: Wookey
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Next balloon board release plans
+++ Chris Jones [2011-03-30 17:39 +0100]:
> On 29/03/2011 14:54, Hector Oron wrote:
>>> WEBSITE
>>>
>>> http://www.balloonboard.org is under major review and it is now
>>> pointing directly to the wiki site. Old site is still rechable at
>>> http://balloonboard.org/index.0.html
>>> Please, help improve wiki documentation as well as organization.
>>
>> A new layout has taken over old site, apologies to all those feeling
>> nostalgic. Some links are still broken, eventually we'll get
>> everything in place.
>
> Great. I'm not feeling nostalgic, I'm furious.

<General ranting>

> Where's the page that used to have the rather disorganised list of other
> pages on it? Some of us used to be able to find things on there, and I
> can't find an alternative route to navigate the site at the moment.
>
> Yes, please, make improvements. But when people have spent time and
> effort writing Wiki pages which they know that they and others will want
> to refer to, *don't* *ever* hide them or throw them away. Even
> temporarily.

It's a wiki CJ - nothing ever goes away. Every old and current version
of a page is still there. Nothing has been hidden _or_ thrown away.
All that's happenedn is the static webpages being merged into moin so
ther website has a consistent layout and it can all be updated easily,
not just part of it.

These changes have been long-awaited and whilst I'm sure you are
finding the completely revamped build system _and_ wiki
(simultaneously) to be 'quite annoying' (TM), don't forget how much
whinging there was about the _old_ build system and website. This is
progress, I'm afraid, and some disruption and learning curve is
inevitable. I'm sorry that co-incides with you trying to get some
work done, but well, oddly enough, the website and build system tend to
change at the same time as people do work - that just the way
'developer focus' tends to operate.

Now, back to your specific complaint of the old index wiki frontpage.

There are several ways you could get to the info you were looking for.
1) The search box works well - you get a page name search by default, and
a full-text search if you hit 'text'.

2) Then there is 'Findpage' which seems only to search page names (as
opposed to content), but has quite detailed options for
inclusion/exclusion.

3) And if you really couldn't remember any keywords from the page or
page title you were looking for, then looking back at the old revisions
of the 'Frontpage' for the old index is very easy. (click on 'info',
select a pair of revisions to diff, and click on 'diff'). Looking back
past the 20-odd edits hector recently made finds that familiar page
back at edit 74.

4) Towards the bottom of the front page is "Old Wiki Frontpage is still
available", which is the page you were looking for.

That's _four_ ways of finding what you want on the front page, so I'm
afraid I'm not convinced by "I can't find an alternative route to
navigate the site". I'll put it down to general rage from the
pleasures of 'menuconfig2' clouding your normally-incisive mind :-)

That 'oldfrontpage' page won't last long before stuff gets hived
off into categories, but for the time being it'll be familiar. I expect
Hector would like to get some feedback on how the pages/categories and
navigation _should_ be arranged so people can find things.
Probably more useful than rants about how the frontpage looks
different.

Wookey
--
Principal hats: Linaro, Emdebian, Wookware, Balloonboard, ARM
http://wookware.org/