Re: [Balloon] Next balloon board release plans

Author: Chris Jones
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Next balloon board release plans
On 29/03/2011 14:54, Hector Oron wrote:
>> WEBSITE
>>
>> http://www.balloonboard.org is under major review and it is now
>> pointing directly to the wiki site. Old site is still rechable at
>> http://balloonboard.org/index.0.html
>> Please, help improve wiki documentation as well as organization.
>
> A new layout has taken over old site, apologies to all those feeling
> nostalgic. Some links are still broken, eventually we'll get
> everything in place.

Great. I'm not feeling nostalgic, I'm furious.

Picture the scene:
- frustrated developer discovers that, since his last svn update, his
kernel no longer seems to support YAFFS and therefore his Balloon board
won't boot. Development stops.
- Developer doesn't want to re-checkout and start again with default
settings because he's got a whole kernel source tree which a whole load
of changes that he's trying to debug, and to recreate it would take ages.
- Developer remembers that, somewhere in the Wiki, he'd made a note of
the magic kernel config settings which make everything OK.
- Developer looks at the Wiki and finds that the index page on which he
was hoping to find the link he used has disappeared.
- Developer sends angry message to the mailing list.

There are no prizes for guessing who the developer is.

Where's the page that used to have the rather disorganised list of other
pages on it? Some of us used to be able to find things on there, and I
can't find an alternative route to navigate the site at the moment.

Yes, please, make improvements. But when people have spent time and
effort writing Wiki pages which they know that they and others will want
to refer to, *don't* *ever* hide them or throw them away. Even temporarily.

Rant over.

Developer goes home.

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd c/o Element Energy Ltd