Re: [Balloon] Next balloon board release plans

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Neil Williams
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Next balloon board release plans
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 10:35:23 +0100
Chris Jones <> wrote:

> On 04/04/2011 02:45, Wookey wrote:
> > It's a wiki CJ - nothing ever goes away. Every old and current version
> > of a page is still there. Nothing has been hidden _or_ thrown away.
> > All that's happenedn is the static webpages being merged into moin so
> > ther website has a consistent layout and it can all be updated easily,
> > not just part of it.
>
> Yes, I should be more patient and try grovelling around in various ways
> to find old versions. But I'm trying to read the documentation because
> I'm in a hurry and I want to know something, and I *thought* I *knew*
> where to find it. It turned out that my mental index had been invalidated.
>
> I did, of course, click on the promising-looking links 'Software' and
> 'Hardware' only to discover that there was nothing behind them. My
> search patience ran out at that point.

That is being improved. More content will appear behind those headlines
in due course.

> Let me be clear about this: I'm not complaining that the frontpage had
> changed, just that the content behind it seemed to have vanished.

Most of that content does now appear behind the new headings. I'm
trying to sift out the old stuff and make the updated Wiki refer just
to Balloon3 stuff. I'm also trying to smooth out a few issues in the
menuconfig stuff itself so that it's easier to get right first time.
Then I'll write that up as a step-on from the initial content in the
first Software page (which itself will get a refresh).

> I'm thoroughly in favour of improved presentation of the Balloon Board
> and making it easier for users new and old to find information. But the
> recent change made it *more difficult*, just for a short, but critical,
> time, for this old user to find what he wanted, and he wasn't happy. In
> this case everything worked out OK because the user in question knew who
> to ask, but that might not be the case with a Balloon customer who is
> less involved with the development team.
>
> I'll be delighted to contribute to the new, improved Wiki layout.

Your recent contributions are, slowly, finding their way into the new
listings.

There will be odd times when things will be more difficult than before
but then this is a large amount of change.

--

Neil Williams