[Balloon] Updating old Balloon kernel patches

Author: Chris Jones
To: Balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Updating old Balloon kernel patches
Hi all,

A couple of years ago I made a new variant of the Balloon software
called 'podpoint', which includes various kernel patches for custom
devices and a couple of mods to bootldr. There are no prizes for
guessing its application. I'm now in a situation where I'd like to
update those patches to cope with a new version of the hardware they
reference.

My problem is that in the intervening time, the whole Balloon world has
changed a couple of times, and neither I nor anyone else has kept the
patches up to date with either the new build system or current kernel
versions.

I would like to do this update with minimum possible effort and the
smallest possible change set. The application doesn't care about being
on the bleeding edge, and the old kernel (2.6.29.1) does its job just
fine. However, I'm prepared to come kicking and screaming into the
present day if it'll pay dividends now or in the future.

I vainly tried an 'svn up' on my ancient checkout of trunk, which failed
miserably because so much has changed.

I'm currently building the podpoint variant of the '1.0-stable' branch,
which seems to be working.

My question: is it permissible or indeed advisable to make modifications
in the 1.0-stable branch with kernel 2.6.29.1, or somewhere else, or
somehow coax everything into menuconfig2 and a modern kernel? The
thought of getting the device drivers working with a different kernel
fills me with horror. There are enough variables in this project as it
is, and I don't want to spend any more late nights on it.

Chris
--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd c/o Element Energy Ltd