Re: [Yaffs] Is it possible to format a USB as YAFFS2?

+ (text/html)
Author: Peter Barada
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Is it possible to format a USB as YAFFS2?
On 02/16/2013 07:21 AM, S. K. wrote:
> Hello!
>

> Usually we can format a USB with "mkfs" command. this command can use
> to format a USB as ext2, ext3 , ... .
> I think there is something similar for YAFFS like 'mkfs.yaffs2'. My
> guess is true and there is such a file but this executable file only
> convert a directory to image!
>
> I can not understand why it is useful for formatt a USB!?
>
> Is it possible to format a USB as YAFFS2 with that file? If not, What
> is the way to do that?
>
> as I mentioned before, I searched a lot even in the YAFFS website But
> nothing found. It is a good time to explain about it for me and anyone
> with the same problem.
>

> Thanks.

USB memory sticks poperate with a IDE full block-managed flash
underneath them that includes remapping of bad blocks and wear levelling.

YAFFS is built to deal with _raw_ NAND, including access to the per-page
OOB (out of band) area that holds the meta-data for YAFFS, and is
completely hidden/inaccessible on a USB memory stick.

it is inappropriate to try to format a USB memory stick as a YAFFS
filesystem. It isn't worth it when an EXT journaling filesystem is more
than adequate on such a block device....

--
Peter Barada