Re: [Balloon] menuconfig2 build question

Author: Chris Jones
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] menuconfig2 build question
On 30/03/2011 16:08, Hector Oron wrote:
> 2011/3/30 Chris Jones<>:
>> A quick dependency question.
>>
>> I'm fiddling with some files deep in the kernel -
>> /arch/arm/mach-pxa/mfp-pxa2xx.c for example - and having real trouble
>> getting the menuconfig2 build procedure to take any notice.
>>
>> I make my change (note, it's just for hardware debugging, so the relevant
>> file isn't included in any of the balloon3 patches and quilt knows nothing
>> about it) and type make at the top level. Precisely no notice of my change
>> is taken. Why not?
>>
>> Must I include my change in a patch?
>
> Short answer is yes.

OK, thanks - I also found I'd shot myself in the foot by, at some point
in the past, deselecting the 'rebuild kernel' option in the menuconfig.
It seems that this means 'only rebuild the kernel if one of the stamp
files has gone missing'. Setting it has produced a certain amount of joy.

>> Typing make in the kernel build directory asks me lots of scary config
>> questions and thus feels like I shouldn't be doing it.
>
> On the toplevel directory type: make kernel, it is known to be buggy
> in some cases, I was currently having a look to it, but it should be
> fine if you start of a clean environment.
>
> If it does not work give a shout here.

cmj@cox-debian:/localhome/cmj/balloon3-menuconfig2$ make kernel
make: *** No rule to make target `kernel'.  Stop.
cmj@cox-debian:/localhome/cmj/balloon3-menuconfig2$ svn up
U    Config.in
Updated to revision 1504.

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd c/o Element Energy Ltd