Re: [Balloon] menuconfig2 build question

Author: Nick Bane
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] menuconfig2 build question
> Hi Chris,
>
> 2011/3/30 Chris Jones<>:
>> A quick dependency question.
>>
>> I'm fiddling with some files deep in the kernel -
>> /arch/arm/mach-pxa/mfp-pxa2xx.c for example - and having real trouble
>> getting the menuconfig2 build procedure to take any notice.
>>
>> I make my change (note, it's just for hardware debugging, so the relevant
>> file isn't included in any of the balloon3 patches and quilt knows nothing
>> about it) and type make at the top level. Precisely no notice of my change
>> is taken. Why not?
>>
>> Must I include my change in a patch?
>
> Short answer is yes.

Not for a .config, you copy it to to a board specific config file in kernel
patches. The decision was taken to make configs copies and restrict patches
to mostly existing code. It helped the patches-on-patches issues with quilt.

>> Typing make in the kernel build directory asks me lots of scary config
>> questions and thus feels like I shouldn't be doing it.

*really* bad. that was one of the menuconfig ethos decisions. Make is only
called from top level dir.

> On the toplevel directory type: make kernel, it is known to be buggy
> in some cases, I was currently having a look to it, but it should be
> fine if you start of a clean environment.

Erm, make zImageBoot or make zImageInitrd or make with only the selected
kernel build items selected in the menu config.

"kernel" is *not* (and never has been) a valid target as it has several
independent sub-targets.

The intention is that you specify what you want to make using menuconfig
and then type "make" rather than make foo.

Nick