Re: [Balloon] menuconfig2 build question

Author: Chris Jones
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] menuconfig2 build question
On 31/03/2011 11:19, Nick Bane wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> 2011/3/30 Chris Jones<>:
>>> A quick dependency question.
>>>
>>> I'm fiddling with some files deep in the kernel -
>>> /arch/arm/mach-pxa/mfp-pxa2xx.c for example - and having real trouble
>>> getting the menuconfig2 build procedure to take any notice.
>>>
>>> I make my change (note, it's just for hardware debugging, so the
>>> relevant
>>> file isn't included in any of the balloon3 patches and quilt knows
>>> nothing
>>> about it) and type make at the top level. Precisely no notice of my
>>> change
>>> is taken. Why not?
>>>
>>> Must I include my change in a patch?
>>
>> Short answer is yes.
> Not for a .config, you copy it to to a board specific config file in
> kernel patches. The decision was taken to make configs copies and
> restrict patches to mostly existing code. It helped the
> patches-on-patches issues with quilt.

OK, thank you. I've done that (copied /build/kernel/linux-2.6.38/.config
to /package/kernel/patches/2.6.38/balloon3config-bubble) and am hoping
it puts an end to my disappearing-YAFFS-and-USB issues.

>>> Typing make in the kernel build directory asks me lots of scary config
>>> questions and thus feels like I shouldn't be doing it.
>>
> *really* bad. that was one of the menuconfig ethos decisions. Make is
> only called from top level dir.
>
>> On the toplevel directory type: make kernel, it is known to be buggy
>> in some cases, I was currently having a look to it, but it should be
>> fine if you start of a clean environment.

My environment is almost never clean...

> Erm, make zImageBoot or make zImageInitrd or make with only the selected
> kernel build items selected in the menu config.
>
> "kernel" is *not* (and never has been) a valid target as it has several
> independent sub-targets.
>
> The intention is that you specify what you want to make using menuconfig
> and then type "make" rather than make foo.

Understood. The 'really, actually, rebuild the kernel, please' option in
make menuconfig was what I'd forgotten about.

I have just built and tested again and now have a kernel which runs on
my board. For now, at least, I am in possession of a kernel which
supports both YAFFS and the old-style RNDIS USB networking. I think I'll
frame it ;-)

Now I can get on with fixing the bugs I've written!

Thank you all
Chris

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd c/o Element Energy Ltd