Re: [Balloon] Balloon4 - progress & questions...

Author: Steve Wiseman
To: Wookey, balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Balloon4 - progress & questions...

On Thu 26/05/11 17:14 , Wookey <> wrote:

> Not if you do native development, which is what Debian and Ubuntu
> push you towards and it's more and more practical as the arm hardware
> gets better.

The ARM hardware gets better and better, but stuff like storage continues to be (comparatively) grim. If you think that compiling from an SD card is fun, I dunno...
We have no ATA or SATA buses on this beast - if you want serious storage, it's USB, or slum it with NAND or SD.

> Wrong. I always care about power. And so should everyone.

So stop using big HDMI displays, when you could just X in and open a window on your desktop machine.
While I do care about power, if the product becomes unsaleable because of a power compromise too far, we've lost, not won.

> This is the real question. Is it worth the pins? I don't have an
> answer to that. So long as we are happy with the answer 'go buy a
> beagle if you wanted to plug it into a TV' then we don't need it.

Or plug an HDMI chip onto the DSS bus connector. I'm not trying to rule it out completely, I just don't want HDMI fitted as the default. Heck, Beagle has _no_ way to deliver HDMI, it simply used an HDMI-shaped socket. We're offering more, not less.
We'll have SDTV inherently (costs me a couple of resistors and a connector).

> Ethernet and DVI/VGA/HDMI are incredibly convenient for development.

Ethernet is provided, Beagle-XM-like, on a USB hub chip. This seems to work fine (although I don't know if the Ethernet comes alive during, or after, boot).
You'll get 2 direct Ether ports to the OMAP, and the third will go through the hub, producing Ether 10/100 and 4 more USB ports. If you want more than 6 USB ports, you'll need a (powered) hub.
The resources on Challenger will obviously be mission-appropriate. Start campaigning for what you want, I don't care much (yet).
(I didn't get any response when I asked if people fancied a couple of the USBs landing on Mini PCI-Express slots, Does anyone have an opinion? (These wee beasties -
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MiniPCI_and_MiniPCI_Express_cards.jpg> - handy for wifi, GSM and some other IO channels.

> I amdit I don;t understand the difference between LCD and
> DVI/VGA/HDMI. Don't they all amount to "a genuine framebuffered,
> pixel-painting display"?

Yes - an alternative is a USB-connected monitor. Which Nick has working. And it doesn't need 240MBytes/sec - it's a remote framebuffer, and only needs updates. Same as a remote X display, or a VNC framebuffer that doesn't get written out to an actual display. So many alternatives to dragging another monitor onto a crowded desk and finding cables & power for it.

> Any display will do, widely available ones with standard connections
> are just easy to dev with.

Serial terminal for first boot, and after that there are many, many choices, of which HDMI is probably the most crappy.